Monday, April 26, 2010

GITD Pictures

Well, it's actually been a couple of months since the 2010 Gathering in the Desert for Lord of the Rings SBG and I'm finally getting around to posting a couple of photos I took. I took some notes, but can't find them so instead I'll just make a couple of observations that have stuck with me:
  • Tim and his wife Shannon did a great job in putting the event on. They were organized and everything went off without a hitch.
  • The players were top-notch; at least all of my opponents were. There were no "push-overs", that's for sure.
  • The tables looked great...thanks to everyone who contributed to the tables.
  • Armies and army composition are tough. Defense 6 and a tough character or two rule the day in the game now it appears. My forces for the past 2 years (Rohan and Uruk Raiders) have suffered greatly IMO at the hands of the dreaded "creap" as subsequent armies or armies with actual supplements have gotten better. Nothing like having a lower Defense, lower or the same Fight, Lower or the same Strength than your opponent AND being outnumbered!
  • Also, I know composition is tough, but some allied contingents always make me scratch my head...and I'll leave it at that.
  • Playing to the scenario is discouraging when your opponent would rather just focus on breaking your army and then can mop up and get extra points.
  • I'm not sure which army or if I'll play next year. I have always used a different/new army at GITD and I have unpainted Easterlings, Dwarves and Orcs that I could get ready for next year, but I need to take a step back and see if I want to play.

Well enough of that...here are some pictures.



No comments: