Saturday, June 28, 2014

Bolt Action - Painting Motivation and an Update

It's hard to believe that it's been since the end of March when I last posted.  I've kept up on my game totals on the side bar, but that is all.  It's not that I haven't been doing anything...I've actually been getting in a lot of's just that I haven't been motivated to paint anything or do updates here; maybe I'm just enjoying playing to be bothered?  I don't know.  Anyway, I finally got a bit of motivation; last week I played Flames of War and we agreed to play Bolt Action this Sunday.  I've had the last two units for my 28mm Italian Para's sitting around untouched for sometime.  I figured now was as good a time as any to knock them out.  So in the past 5 1/2 days I prepped, primed, painted, washed, drybrushed, based, poly-coated and dulcoted an AB41 armored car from Warlord Games and a Breda 20mm AA gun with 3 crew from Company B. Hopefully this has knocked me out of my painting funk! 

Here's one view of the AB41.  The camo is a variation on a pattern I saw in a color plate online.
 A second view of the AB41.  The resin was pretty clean with only minimal excess to be removed.
 Rear-view of the AB41 with the rear-facing MG and rear-driver position.
 The Breda 20mm AA gun with crew.  The models come in shorts; I had Tim K "green stuff" pants on them and I think it came out OK for the most part.
 The Company B models are nice and in scale with the Warlord Paras that make up the rest of this army.
 The one "fiddly" part of this model is the crew seat; very thin metal holding the seat and crewman up.  I may have to fabricate something in the long run if that doesn't hold up.

Well, next up is to finish off some Vikings I've been painting for Mike for some time.  I hope to keep my motivation going and have a good rest of the year.  I'm ahead of last year's pace in both the number of figures/models painted and the number of games played with a full 6 months to go in the year, so I'm optimistic at being able to do so.